Sunday, July 10, 2022 - Winnipeg Fire and Paramedic Service (WFPS) battled an apartment fire on Renfrew Street early Sunday morning.
When crews arrived at the scene shortly after 10:00 am Sunday, they encountered smoke coming from the structure. An offensive attack was launched and the fire was declared under control at 10:51 a.m.
Residents of the building evacuated. A bystander from the neighbourhood attempted to search the building to check for others inside. He sustained injuries and was taken to hospital in stable condition. Fire crews completed a search of the building and no other occupants were found.
While fire damage was contained to the suite where the fire originated, other areas of the building suffered water and smoke damage. The City of Winnipeg’s Emergency Social Services was called to assist displaced residents in finding temporary accommodations
Preliminary observations suggest the fire was accidental, caused by an electrical malfunction. Damage estimates are not available at this time.