top of page
  • Winnipeg Tribune

Marygrove Crescent Residents Evacuated after Ruptured Gas Line


Monday, June 12, 2023 - Winnipeg fire crews evacuated ten homes on Marygrove Crescent after a resident who was digging post holes accidentally ruptured a gas line.


Explosive levels of gas were detected in the home where the rupture line occurred and nine additional homes close to the rupture were evacuated as a precaution.

Manitoba Hydro attended the scene and crimped the leaking gas line. Once safe to do so, WFPS crews ventilated the two houses until gas readings returned to normal.

Evacuated residents were able to return to their homes once the incident was mitigated. Natural gas is a colourless, odourless, and highly flammable gas. Manitoba Hydro adds a chemical compound called mercaptan to natural gas to give it a strong, Sulphur-like or rotten egg smell. This allows natural gas leaks to be easily detected.

If you smell natural gas, evacuate people and pets out of the area immediately. If you are inside a building, leave the doors open when you leave. Do not smoke, light matches or lighters, operate electrical switches, appliances, phones, or vehicles, or create any other source of ignition or sparks. Once you are in a safe space, call 911 immediately.

Comments


bottom of page