top of page
  • Winnipeg Tribune

Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service Responds to Three Recent Structure Fires

Updated: Jan 3

Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service Responds to Three Recent Structure Fires within 24 hours.
Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service

By: Staff Writer I Winnipeg Tribune

Winnipeg, January 3, 2024 - In the early hours of 2024, the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service (WFPS) faced a series of challenges, responding to three separate structure fires over a span of less than 24 hours. The incidents, though alarming, fortunately resulted in no loss of life and minimal injuries.

Selkirk Avenue Fire - The first of these incidents unfolded on Monday, January 1, 2024, at 6:17 p.m., when the WFPS received reports of a fire raging in a two-and-a-half-storey duplex located in the 100 block of Selkirk Avenue. The initial response from the WFPS was swift, with crews arriving on the scene promptly.

Upon their arrival, firefighters were greeted by a scene of heavy smoke and flames emanating from the structure. Quick and coordinated action allowed them to tackle the fire from inside, ultimately bringing it under control at 7:18 p.m. All occupants of the duplex managed to self-evacuate safely, with no reported injuries.

As a precautionary measure, residents from neighboring homes were temporarily evacuated, finding shelter in a Winnipeg Transit bus deployed to the scene. The fire remains under investigation, and damage estimates are currently unavailable.

Tylehurst Street Fire - Later that same evening, at 10:21 p.m., the WFPS was called upon once again to respond to reports of a fire, this time in a three-storey apartment building located in the 500 block of Tylehurst Street. Responding crews discovered smoke emanating from the building and wasted no time in engaging the blaze from within. The fire was declared under control at 10:48 p.m., with damage limited to the suite of origin.

In this case, one occupant from the affected suite was assessed by paramedics and subsequently transported to the hospital, thankfully in stable condition. Tragically, firefighters also found a cat deceased within the suite. As with the Selkirk Avenue fire, Winnipeg Transit provided a bus for evacuated residents until the building was properly ventilated, allowing residents to return to their suites. The cause of this fire also remains under investigation, with damage estimates pending.

Heather Road Fire - The third and final incident occurred on Tuesday, January 2, 2024, at 11:12 a.m., when WFPS crews responded to reports of a fire in a two-storey duplex in the 0 to 100 block of Heather Road. Upon their arrival, firefighters encountered smoke within the residence, prompting them to launch an interior fire attack. Their prompt response led to the fire being declared under control at 11:27 a.m.

Thankfully, all occupants of the structure had self-evacuated before the arrival of emergency personnel. One individual was assessed by paramedics but did not require hospitalization. Preliminary investigations point toward the fire being accidental, resulting from a malfunction in the operation of a clothes dryer.

These recent incidents serve as a stark reminder of the dedication and bravery exhibited by the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service in protecting the community from devastating fires. The service's quick response and commitment to public safety undoubtedly played a crucial role in minimizing damage and preventing injuries during these challenging situations.

The WFPS continues to investigate the causes of these fires and will provide damage estimates once available. In the meantime, the community is reminded to prioritize fire safety and to remain vigilant in preventing potential hazards, especially during the winter months when heating equipment is in high use.


bottom of page