top of page
  • Winnipeg Tribune

Winnipeg Police provide details that lead to officers being shot

Winnipeg Police provide details that lead to officers being shot
Winnipeg Police Chief Danny Smyth

By: Staff Writer I Winnipeg Tribune

Winnipeg, February 12, 2024 - Winnipeg Police Service Chief, Danny Smyth, provided more details about the events that lead up to the armed and barricaded situation where three members of the tactical team were shot.

The violence started on February 9, at around 6:15 a.m., when officers responded to an armed robbery in the 300 block of Boyd Avenue.

Three adult male suspects stormed a residence. During this incident, one of them discharged a firearm, injuring a 40-year-old male victim in the home. Police then learned that a 25-year-old woman was allegedly abducted by the assailants, compounding the ordeal. The suspects were able to flee the scene before police arrived.

The next day, February 10, police received intelligence that indicated the missing woman was at a dwelling in the 200 block of College Avenue, accompanied by one of the robbery suspects who they believed was armed. Tactical Support Team (TST) members successfully coercing two suspects, a 46-year-old man, and a 30-year-old woman, into custody. The abducted woman also emerged unscathed.

However, the standoff intensified as two suspects remained entrenched inside, spurring an armed and barricaded situation. Police said, the confrontation escalated when gunfire erupted, with some shots being fired through the door of the unit by the suspects. Those shots injured three TST members. Fortunately, their injuries were not life threatening, and the officers received medical attention.

Amidst the chaos, police discovered a cache of weapons within the premises, including a 12-gauge shotgun, a .22 caliber rifle, and assorted ammunition. Consequently, Jeremy James Kayseas, 43, of Winnipeg, faces a litany of charges ranging from Assault Causing Bodily Harm to multiple firearms-related offenses. He remains in custody.

A 50-year-old man, a 46-year-old man, and a 30-year-old woman from Winnipeg are implicated in drug and firearms-related offenses. Those individuals were released on undertakings.

Watch as Chief Smyth provides full details to the media.


bottom of page