top of page
  • Winnipeg Tribune

Vape Pen battery is to blame for a house fire that sent one person to hospital


Vape Pen battery to blame for fire that sent one person to hospital in critical condition
Vape Pen battery to blame for fire. (File Photo)

By: Winnipeg Tribune Staff Writer


Winnipeg, May 2, 2024 - A residential fire broke out early this morning, May 2, in a two-storey home located on the 300 block of Anderson Avenue, leading to hospitalization for one individual and causing significant alarm among local residents.


The Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service (WFPS) received reports of the fire at approximately 6:49 a.m. and promptly dispatched crews to the scene. Upon arrival, firefighters observed smoke billowing from the building. They executed an interior attack, managing to contain and extinguish the blaze by 7:09 a.m.


WFPS crews assessed two individuals at the scene for injuries. One of the victims was subsequently transported to the hospital in unstable condition. The names of the individuals have not been released.


Initial investigations into the cause of the fire point to an accidental ignition, with a lithium-ion battery from a vape pen identified as the probable source. These batteries can overheat and pose a significant fire hazard if not properly handled or charged.


The WFPS is using this incident as a reminder to the public about the dangers of improper use and storage of devices containing lithium-ion batteries. They urge citizens to follow manufacturer guidelines and safety tips to prevent similar incidents.

Comments


bottom of page